Thursday, November 8, 2007

I Learnt My Lessons....

I am just beginning to love writing. But yes, all this has to to do with the innumerable formal letters written to innumerable people over the course of the past 2 months. I just cant stop thinking formal English. Like if I want to ask a friend to pass a book, I start off in my head as

"I humbly request you to please pass the book over. I would be very glad if you could do so at the earliest. Thanking you in advance."

Anyway, that was just to justify my blogging at a time when Im supposed to be working on something more important.

Lesson 1
One sincere advice to VTU students applying for transcripts - apply early, and I mean EARLY. The university or its staff have a particular penchant for philately and so ask you to send a self addressed envelope with postage for an unknown amount. [this is just to get stamps of different denominations I suspect]

And what do they do??? Remove the stamps and cleverly send the transcripts through courier.
Well done, all this takes some 25 days. Now comes the nightmare I experienced, it so happens that by divine grace or disgrace I happen to stay in a locality that has got all its numbers wrong, including door numbers, and it so happens that the delivery boy is a new guy who has reported to work just 2 days back. A perfect foil for a happy ending!

Lesson 2
The staff of VTU is as far from courtesy as Rowan Atkinson is from Deve Gowda. A call to VTU

namskare sahebra....
hello VTU, Belgaum
Transcriptsge apply maad......
Endu
25 dina aaithu nodri....
5 daysnalli baraththe idri phonu....tap!

Call them again.......

Hello...
VTU Belgaum,
Courier docket number aadru heLri sira...
Nodri, namageega eshtu kelasa andre. nimma punya phone attend maadidini...
Swalpa patience irliiri.....yaava courier antha aadru heLo thamma...
Professional.............

After numerous calls to Belgaum courier office, the docket no is traced out but unfortunately, it has been returned back to Belgaum. The van has left Bangalore carrying it and hasnt reached Belgaum. Well, call them again...

Hello....Mala madam??
Houdri, enagbeku???
Adu docket no...... load bantha.
Aa mailnalli swalpa nodri....ivru bengloorinda phone hachchaara...
Ilri, adu Thilakwadige hogide.....
Whaa??? Thilakwadi??

Hmm. After 48 hours of agony and a few calls to the higher echelons of Professional, thanks to my dad, I finally received the package this morning from Thilakwadi o belgaum to Mission Road to Geddalahalli to Lottegollahalli.

Im happy now that all tension is gone..

Lesson 3
Never read such blogs if it doesnt concern you. It just wastes your time and nothing else :)

Happy Diwali

5 comments:

0RI0N said...

now that you are a formal letter writing pundit, I could avail your services for my own apping process (which will start I don't know when).

karthikv4u said...

@venkat
Services come at a premium....

Ga-Joob said...

really weird... i had my transcripts within a week! I guess the time taken to reach, is in inverse proportion to the aggregate.

Mohan K.V said...

LOL, that was hilarious!! You need to get it from _Belguam_ ? Why not Belgium, while we're on the topic of covering the wide earth in asking students to apply for transcripts?

karthikv4u said...

@ga-joob
No, it isnt. A week?? This isnt Singapore yet, a courier takes a week for its journey.

@mohan
Our university is situated there dude, the great VTU at machche, Belgaum.